The noise and unpredictability of fireworks leads many dogs to perceive them as a threat. This triggers their fight-or-flight response. Your dog may bark at the noises or try to run away and hide. He may show other signs of anxiety, too, like restlessness, panting, pacing and whining.
At Natural Pet Centre we have 3 products that can help with this anxiety:
- Phytopet Calm Xtra: This is a fast acting liquid that should help in most low to medium stress levels. It is a concentrated formula with well known natural ingredients.
- Dorwest Skullcap & Valerian: Very well know and well used product in tablet form. Needs to be taken for a few days before to build up in the system for full effect. Should help in most low to medium stress levels.
- Faelan CalmCare: A natural veterinary strength calming remedy in tablet form should work in even the highest stress situations.
Other things you can do to help the situation:
- Walk them during daylight hours to avoid times when fireworks are likely to be set off
- Close windows and curtains to muffle the sound of fireworks
- Put on some music or tv to mask the firework sounds
- Create a quiet space where your dog can feel in control
- Create some hiding places around your home
Extra help can be found on the RSPCA website here